EU Law Analysis: IP addresses as personal data – the CJEU’s judgment in C-582/14 Breyer – The questions of the German Supreme Court were specifically focussed on dynamic IP addresses. These are less privacy-invasive than static IP addresses. The difference between them is that the dynamic ones change with every new connection to the internet and the static ones do not. IP addresses are assigned by Internet Service Providers (ISPs) and take the form of a series of digits. In principle, in itself they do not reveal the identity of a specific natural person but can be combined with other information to identify the owner of a device that connects to the internet. Typically such other information is at the disposal of the ISP. In its Scarlet Extended judgment of 2011 the CJEU clarified that, from the perspective of the ISP, IP addresses are personal data. However, in the Breyer case the scenario was different. The German federal institutions which run the websites only had the IP addresses and the additional information that is needed to identify the visitors of those websites was held by the ISPs. The CJEU was asked to clarify if the German federal institutions (the data controllers) should treat the IP addresses as personal data even if they are not in possession of this additional information.
Southern Poverty Law Center
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
- APNS/ANG RSS Feed
- ANG Tumblr Feed
- Inquiries : gmx.com + ‘apnsnews’
- Online Editor: gmx.pt + redaktoro
- Voicemail / gTalk + ‘aboriginalmediagroup’
- Skype + ‘AboriginalNewsGroup’
- VoIP + sip:firstname.lastname@example.org
- APNS Public Radio / IRB : RSS
- Leg ĉi tiu ĵurnalo En Esperanto
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) seeks to support, educate and unify Indigenous bloggers & Indigenist Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberal exploitation racialism and genocide.
- Deputy Fired After Investigation Into Chokehold Death Outside Texas Denny’s ow.ly/BL7h50cYXO3 5 hours ago
- 2000 youths join Self-Defense Forces in Hesekê - 2000 youths join Self-Defense Forces in Hesekê ow.ly/Ep0h50cYS26 9 hours ago
- APNS Public Radyo | Indigenist Talk Media for Intelligent Aboriginals ow.ly/FIur30dQ1Y3 11 hours ago
- Warriors, dreamers and just plain crazy: U.S. civilian volunteers fighting Islamic State in Syria ow.ly/W91C50cXX27 1 day ago
- John McCain cancer is ‘godly justice,’ alt-right claims - John McCain cancer is ‘godly justice,’ alt-right clai... ow.ly/v7IP50cXVaS 1 day ago
- Get ready! The 3rd Annual July 25th International Day of Solidarity With Antifascist Prisoners Is Upon Us!
- BLOGROLL: Roberts on Preservation and Social Justice| National Trust for Historic Preservation
- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit investigating death of First Nations man in Thunder Bay police jail
- Iraq War PR Alums Built ‘Guns, Knives’ Talking Points To Discredit NODAPL
- #USA / #Military / #Imperialism
Inteligenta Indigena Novajoservo™ (IIN) is produced by the Aboriginal Press News Service™ (APNS), and is an Internet publication of the
Aboriginal News Group™ (ANG). All editorial text, posted news items and related post images employed within this newswire are published under a CC: Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 license unless otherwise stated. Meaning, any fair dealing for the purposes of private study, research, criticism or the much needed elucidation of the Fourth World masses without monetary gain is duly permitted and encouraged provided credit is given where credit is due to all parties concerned. It is believed that this constitutes a ‘fair use’ of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. Accordingly, said material is distributed here without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving such information for research and/or educational purposes. This autonomous publication assumes no liability for the content and/or hyperlinked materials of any other website. Nor do we accept paid advertising, swag, or monetary donations. APNS-ANG and its affiliate orgs do not advocate, encourage or condone any type/form of illegal behaviour. All news material posted is provided for informational purposes only.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.