Article: Should an Innocent Person Be Forced to Pay for Their Arrest? | OpEdNews – Donald Trump takes office in two short weeks. As I’ve written previously, I don’t expect much in the way of prison reform or sentencing reform. Indeed, I’ve urged readers to take to the courts for redress because we obviously won’t get it from Trump or the Republican Congress. As it turns out, the courts may be the only place where civil liberties may still be protected. The U.S. Supreme Court will soon hear a case about a Minnesota law that allows local police departments to charge a “processing fee” for any person arrested for any reason, even if they are found not guilty of committing a crime. Corey Statham was arrested in Ramsey County, Minnesota, and charged with disorderly conduct. Two days later, the charges were thrown out and Statham was released from the local lock-up. He had $46 in his pocket when he was arrested. But upon his release, the local police gave him back only $21. He had been charged a $25 “booking fee.” And to add insult to injury, Statham got his $25 back on a debit card, which levied a fee of $7.25 for him to get his money back. In the end, Statham, who was innocent of any crime, lost $32.25 for no reason. Many Americans drop $38.75 on dinner and don’t give it a second thought. But for many others, it’s a lot of money. And it is poorer people who are more likely to find themselves in this predicament.
Southern Poverty Law Center
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
- APNS/ANG RSS Feed
- ANG Tumblr Feed
- Inquiries : gmx.com + ‘apnsnews’
- Online Editor: gmx.pt + redaktoro
- Voicemail / gTalk + ‘aboriginalmediagroup’
- Skype + ‘AboriginalNewsGroup’
- VoIP + sip:email@example.com
- APNS Public Radio / IRB : RSS
- Leg ĉi tiu ĵurnalo En Esperanto
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) seeks to support, educate and unify Indigenous bloggers & Indigenist Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberal exploitation racialism and genocide.
- RT @latamite: Talitha wants to know who killed Marielle Franco, a Rio de Janeiro politician who was shot dead just over three months ago. H… 3 minutes ago
- RT @dorafigueiredo_: Se eu pudesse acabar com quem realmente te tirou daqui Mas eu sozinha não sirvo de nada Espero que um dia as pessoas… 14 hours ago
- Danielle Young // #Suicide Or Cover Up: What Army Private, #LaVenaJohnson’s Rape & Death Says About America
- Federal study: Chemicals toxic at levels EPA thought safe – NY Daily News
- #Trump Signed Tax Returns with False Information Under Penalty of #Perjury at Least 4 Times: #Report | Alternet
- Who Lived and Thrived in Greenland Before the Vikings Arrived?
- Hamas Negotiating ‘Comprehensive Deal’ for Truce With Israel – News From Antiwar.com
- 10 Bizarre Theories About Ethnic And Racial Origins – Listverse
Inteligenta Indigena Novajoservo™ (IIN) is produced by the Aboriginal Press News Service™ (APNS), and is an Internet publication of the
Aboriginal News Group™ (ANG). All editorial text, posted news items and related post images employed within this newswire are published under a CC: Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 license unless otherwise stated. Meaning, any fair dealing for the purposes of private study, research, criticism or the much needed elucidation of the Fourth World masses without monetary gain is duly permitted and encouraged provided credit is given where credit is due to all parties concerned. It is believed that this constitutes a ‘fair use’ of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. Accordingly, said material is distributed here without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving such information for research and/or educational purposes. This autonomous publication assumes no liability for the content and/or hyperlinked materials of any other website. Nor do we accept paid advertising, swag, or monetary donations. APNS-ANG and its affiliate orgs do not advocate, encourage or condone any type/form of illegal behaviour. All news material posted is provided for informational purposes only.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.