Mystery Hackers Blow Up Secret NSA Hacking Tools in ‘Final F–k You’ – The Daily Beast – The Shadow Brokers emerged in August with the announcement that they’d stolen the hacking tools used by a sophisticated computer-intrusion operation known as the Equation Group, and were putting them up for sale to the highest bidder. It was a remarkable claim, because the Equation Group is generally understood to be part of the NSA’s elite Tailored Access Operations program and is virtually never detected, much less penetrated. The Equation Group was, in a sense, the rough equivalent to the Russian “Cozy Bear” crew, now blamed for the DNC hacks. Except the American hackers operated for at least 14 years as virtual ghosts, until 2015 when the Russia-based cybersecurity firm Kaspersky Labs gathered enough evidence to prove that they exist. It soon emerged that the Shadow Brokers really had the goods. Released along with the announcement was a huge cache of specialized malware, including dozens of backdoor programs and 10 exploits, two of them targeting previously unknown security holes in Cisco routers—a basic building block of the internet. While Cisco and other companies scrambled for a fix, security experts pored over the Shadow Brokers tranche like it was the Rosetta Stone. “It was the first time, as threat-intelligence professionals, that we’ve had access to what appears to be a relatively complete toolkit of a nation-state attacker,” says Jake Williams, founder of Rendition Infosec. “It was excitement in some circles, dismay in other circles, and panic and a rush to patch if you’re running vulnerable hardware.”
Southern Poverty Law Center
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) seeks to support, educate and unify Indigenous bloggers & Indigenist Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberal exploitation racialism and genocide.
- Trump vs. #Palestine
- Report: Girl in Weiner sexting case lied to damage Clinton | TheHill
- Saudi Arabia Wants Trump to Drop 9/11 Terror Victims Law By Tom O’Connor On 3/20/17
- Raytheon and Saudi Arabia Military Industries announce strategic partnership
- Josiah Begg’s family says person pulled from river in Thunder Bay, Ont., was missing First Nations teen
- CLAIM: Saudi Arabia Paying For Veterans To Oppose 9/11 Law On Capitol Hill ow.ly/KmCT50bFtkj 6 hours ago
- St. Paul’s School Acknowledges Decades of Sexual Misconduct - St. Paul’s School Acknowledges Decades of Sexual ... ow.ly/bc3450bFrp1 7 hours ago
- Gov’t says 560 children kept in Turkish prisons along with mothers | Turkey Purge ow.ly/exC350bFret 7 hours ago
- Theresa May faces 'chaos and confusion' claims after social care U-turn | Society | The Guardian ow.ly/Q9eC50bFres 7 hours ago
- 4WR #Podcast seeks #African & #Indigenous Ppls to comment on this via Skype / Pls DM @TheAngryindian (Serious Only) twitter.com/telesurenglish… 8 hours ago
Inteligenta Indigena Novajoservo™ (IIN) is produced by the Aboriginal Press News Service™ (APNS), and is an Internet publication of the Aboriginal News Group™ (ANG). All editorial text, posted news items and related post images employed within this newswire are published under a CC: Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 license unless otherwise stated. Meaning, any fair dealing for the purposes of private study, research, criticism or the much needed elucidation of the Fourth World masses without monetary gain is duly permitted and encouraged provided credit is given where credit is due to all parties concerned. It is believed that this constitutes a ‘fair use’ of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. Accordingly, said material is distributed here without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving such information for research and/or educational purposes. This autonomous publication assumes no liability for the content and/or hyperlinked materials of any other website. Nor do we accept paid advertising, swag, or monetary donations. APNS-ANG and its affiliate orgs do not advocate, encourage or condone any type/form of illegal behaviour. All news material posted is provided for informational purposes only.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.