The Pentagon Said This Video Shows A Raid In Yemen Was Successful. It’s A Decade Old – BuzzFeed News – The Pentagon said that even if the video had been posted before, it was also captured during the raid and said the date of its production didn’t matter, Navy Capt Jeff Davis, a Pentagon spokesman told reporters. The raid, Davis said, was still helpful in learning about al Qaeda training and tactics. The released video was just a sampling of what was captured, Davis said. A defense official told BuzzFeed News that the raid was intended to gather intelligence about al Qaeda’s external operations, not to thwart a specific future attack. The US military believed the site was a key hub for the terror group. The release of the old video was an embarrassing admission about the Jan. 29 raid, the first approved by President Donald Trump since his term began, which has been swirling in controversy since its existence was first revealed. There are reports that children were killed and that female fighters pinned down Seal Team 6 during an hour-long fire fight.
Chief Petty Officer William “Ryan” Owens was killed during the raid. The father of three was reportedly on his 12th deployment. Another six troops were wounded.