Trump confusingly said that the “leaks are real” but “the news is fake” in a Feb. 16 press conference. He added that he’s asked the Justice Department to look into the “criminal leaks.”What’s at stake is whether Trump administration officials have been having secret talks with Russian officials. Based on leaked information, the Washington Post reported that former national security adviser Gen. Michael Flynn may have lied to the FBI about his communications during the transition period with the Russian ambassador to the United States. That disclosure led to Flynn’s resignation. The New York Times, also relying on unnamed sources, reported that Trump’s campaign advisers had regular contact with Russian officials. And the Wall Street Journal and Mother Jones reported that U.S. intelligence officials have limited the information they provide to Trump, presumably because they distrust the administration.Trump has said these reports amount to a “whole Russia scam” that ignore the bigger story of “illegal leaks.”Are they illegal?There isn’t a single law that criminalizes all leaks of classified or privileged government information to the media. However, there are a few relevant federal laws that apply to the kind of leaks that are of most concern to the Trump White House — those that involve details of ongoing federal intelligence investigations.”The bottom line is that it is quite likely that eager prosecutors could find a statute to cover most leaks relating to intelligence activities,” said Mary-Rose Papandrea, an expert in national security leaks and law professor at the University of North Carolina.
Southern Poverty Law Center
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) seeks to support, educate and unify Indigenous bloggers & Indigenist Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberal exploitation racialism and genocide.
- ‘Turkish’ hackers threaten to reset millions of iCloud accounts
- Russia ‘perhaps’ supplying Taliban: NATO commander
- Russian bank sends threatening letter to computer scientist who called for Trump investigation – CNNPolitics.com
- 4th World Radyo: The Ides of March: EasyD and the Unbearable Mishegoss of Compromised American Politics – @TheAngryindian in Conversation with @BobKincaid of Head On Radio
- Yazidis who suffered genocide are fleeing again, but this time not from the Islamic State – The Washington Post
- Bill Maher, March 9 2012, The south will rise again.(via Real... ow.ly/xznd50aomM5 16 hours ago
- White man traveled to New York to kill black men and ‘make a statement,’ police say - The Washington Post ow.ly/BbOt50aol0V 16 hours ago
- How white nationalists learned to love Donald Trump – POLITICO ow.ly/dlMW50aol0W 16 hours ago
- A Denison teenager was arrested after admitting that she made up... ow.ly/Hbyn50aokTk 16 hours ago
- No room for racism or discrimination at UVic - University of Victoria ow.ly/RWJg50ao8gq 18 hours ago
Inteligenta Indigena Novajoservo™ (IIN) is produced by the Aboriginal Press News Service™ (APNS), and is an Internet publication of the Aboriginal News Group™ (ANG). All editorial text, posted news items and related post images employed within this newswire are published under a CC: Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 license unless otherwise stated. Meaning, any fair dealing for the purposes of private study, research, criticism or the much needed elucidation of the Fourth World masses without monetary gain is duly permitted and encouraged provided credit is given where credit is due to all parties concerned. It is believed that this constitutes a ‘fair use’ of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. Accordingly, said material is distributed here without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving such information for research and/or educational purposes. This autonomous publication assumes no liability for the content and/or hyperlinked materials of any other website. Nor do we accept paid advertising, swag, or monetary donations. APNS-ANG and its affiliate orgs do not advocate, encourage or condone any type/form of illegal behaviour. All news material posted is provided for informational purposes only.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.