Summary: The Rohingya Nation is a stateless, culturally Muslim/Hindu, population of nearly one million people primarily situated within Rakhine State, Burma/Myanmar with another million of their citizens dispersed across mainly South and Southeast Asia. As a socio-politically marginalised Indo-Aryan ethic minority within Burma/Myanmar, (Indo-Aryans) the Rohingyas are restricted from enjoying citizenship rights – by law – in harsh contrast to the historical record which documents the presence of Rohingya occupation in the Arakan region since (at least) the 8th century. United Nations observers, along with other human rights NGO’s report that the military government of Burma/Myanmar – aside from severely limiting the rights of these people through persistent racialist persecution – are actually operating a programme of ethnic cleansing, gearing-up for a mass, forced-exodus of the Rohingya under the threat of death. The government of supported in these xenophobic measures by the majority Buddhist population and numerous, far-right clerics citing ‘racial purity’ goals as a rationale for advocating Rohingya genocide.
To discuss this appalling crisis, FWR host @TheAngryindian speaks with Professor Geor Hintzen, Coordinator of Knowledge Management and Safety at The Hague University, The Netherlands and one of the leaders of the ‘Protect The Rohingya’ effort taking place in the European Union dedicated to drawing an international focus on the drastic human rights catastrophe that is developing in Burma/Myanmar. A recognised expert on Sino-European politics and relations; ME languages/cultural studies as well as EU immigration, migrant and asylum law in the EU, he is the author of ‘Protest your loyalty: An analysis of the right of assembly, procession, and demonstration in the People’s Republic of China’ (1994) and ‘Protect The Rohingya’ (Editor) with Shabnam Mayet and Andrew Day.
*Note to listeners: We apologise to our guest and our listeners for the poor (Skype) audio quality of this broadcast. However, because of the immediate importance of the subject matter, we decided to release it.
All this and much more on, 4WR.
The official internet radio broadcast of the Aboriginal Press News Service/ANG
- Protect the Rohingya Public Group | Facebook
- Protect The Rohingya (@ProtectRohingya) | Twitter
- Myanmar’s 2015 election: Who are the Rohingya? | Asia | Al Jazeera
- Aung San Suu Kyi Can’t, or Won’t, Rein In Burma’s Army | Time.com
- The Problem of the Rohingya
- Books by Geor Hintzen (Author of Protect The Rohingya)
- Protest your loyalty: An analysis of the right of assembly, procession, and demonstration in the People’s Republic of China (CNWS publications): Geor Hintzen: 9789073782310: Amazon.com: Books
- Myanmar: Aung San Suu Kyi says ‘no ethnic cleansing’ of Muslims – CNN
- Rohingya crisis: Aung San Suu Kyi blames ‘terrorists’ for ‘misinformation’ – CNN
- PressTV-‘Israel selling arms to Myanmar’s military junta’
- #Myanmar: #Rohingya #EthnicCleansing + #AungSanSuuKyi’s inexcusable silence! | | truthaholics
- Aung San Suu Kyi rejects UN inquiry into crimes against Rohingya | World news | The Guardian
- At least 30,000 Rohingya trapped in Myanmar mountains without food – CNN